Are you looking for potential natural cures for your insomnia?
The effects of sleep deprivation are far from positive and the natural sleep remedies and tips discussed here should help you put an end to insomnia.
Don’t you deserve to sleep well and stop your insomnia naturally?
What is Insomnia?
Insomnia can be described as a disruption in your natural pattern of sleep. You end up with not an adequate quantity and/or quality of sleep, which affects your life.
There are many causes of insomnia: high stress levels, medication, physical problems, changes in your environment or even changes in your schedule.
If your insomnia only lasts a couple of nights, there is probably no worries to be had. It only proves that you’re a human being with a life that gets stressful every now and then.
If, however, your insomnia lasts a month or even longer, then you should seek treatment.
Types of Insomnia
Insomnia can fall into one of these two categories:
- Acute Insomnia. This type of insomnia happens without a particular underlying cause.
- Chronic Insomnia. The cause of this type of insomnia is known to be caused by a specific condition such as:
How to Beat Insomnia With Natural Cures
There are many ways to reduce the likelihood of insomnia, and most of them are covered somewhere on this Relaxation at Home website.
The most useful tip for getting rid of insomnia is to be prepared for a good night sleep by relaxing your body and mind. There are many activities that you can do before bedtime that will help:
Take a bath whether it’s your regular bath, an
aromatherapy bath or salt bath. You can soak in a nice Epsom salt bath and let your muscles ease up with the warm water filled with minerals.
- Read a book or a magazine.
- Close your eyes and use visual imagery to pretend you are walking in the woods or on the beach, whatever image brings peace to your mind.
- While lying down, tense your muscles and release the tension, one muscle at a time.
- Maintain a room temperature slightly cooler than you think you need.
- Make sure your mattress is comfortable. If not, the investment is well worth it and your back will be thankful. Learn how to choose a mattress here.
- Limit the usage of your bedroom to sleeping or spending time with your partner. If you also use your bedroom as an office, your mind can have trouble forgetting about work when you go to bed.
- Practice breathing exercises before going to bed.
- Drink herbal tea.
- Burn some relaxation essential oils.
- If you are worried about something and your thoughts won’t let you fall asleep, leave a journal by your bed and write down these worrying thoughts or your "to-do list". By doing so, your brain can relax, knowing that you won’t forget about these issues as they have been written down but you can forget about them for now.
- Practice regular meditation.
- Listen to peaceful relaxation music before going to bed.
Tips to Cure Insomnia With Natural Cures
Here are some things to avoid before going to bed:
- Caffeine for at least 4 or 5 hours before bedtime.
- Exercising for at least 3 hours before bedtime, unless you focus on stretching exercises only, such as some forms of yoga or taichi.
- Alcohol. Although it may seem that a little alcohol may help you fall asleep, you will not enjoy an undisturbed night.
- Large meal 3 hours before bedtime. If you are hungry, stick to light snacks.
- Watching television before bed, especially the news or violent programs.
- Excessive noise.
- Too much light.
Herbal Remedies for Insomnia – Natural Cures
These natural remedies for insomnia are widely available and should help you fall and stay asleep.
- Valerian is known as a natural sedative that should help you relax.
Drink some caffeine-free herbal teas such as
chamomile tea, lemon balm tea or passion flower tea.
Burn some aromatherapy oils such as
basil, chamomile, lavender, marjoram, neroli,
- Melatonin could also help you.
Make sure to read the fine print and to check possible reaction with other herbal supplements or medication that you are currently taking. Sometimes, insomnia natural cures can cause side effects. Please remember that several types of sleep aids have been known to cause addiction or dependence.
Some of these natural treatments for insomnia may work better on different types of people. You may have to experiment with a few to discover which of these insomnia natural cures works best for you.
Sleep Tips and Techniques to Prevent Insomnia
You’re not the only one.
Stress has a tendency to stay with you, even when your eyes are closed.
Fortunately, by learning to relax at home, you can help improve the quality of your sleep.
Not only will you find it easier to fall asleep, you will also be able to sleep through the night.
While you could opt to take over-the-counter medication to help you fall asleep, it may be better for your health to try natural alternatives first.
Here we go… Get ready to start counting ZZZs.
Natural Sleep Remedies
Here are a few relaxation tips that will improve your chances of getting a good night’s sleep.
- Get a new mattress if you’ve had your mattress for more than 10 years or if your back hurts when you get up. Learn how to choose a mattress here.
- Feng Shui your bedroom by picking earth tones (beige, off-white, cool greens, cool blues, etc.) in your bedroom color scheme. If you like pink, you could also use a soft shade of pink to help tranquilize your mind. For more information on how colors affect your energy and feng shui, visit this page.
- Move your clock so that you can’t see what time it is when you wake up in the middle of the night. For most people, it’s as simple as turning it to face the wall. If you have an old-fashioned ticking clock, you should move it away from your bed or cover it with a towel to help muffle some of the ticking noises.
- Can’t sleep? It may be because your body doesn’t think it’s time to fall asleep. Drop the temperature at night. Keep your house around 18C or 64F and the drop in body temperature will signal to your body that it’s time to sleep.
- Invest in thick and dark curtains, especially if you are a night shift worker.
- Keep all distractions away from your bedroom. If you must have a television and other electronics in your bedroom, keep them hidden in an armoire.