I recommend making these healthy tea biscuits at home next time you have time to bake.
They’re easy to make and you can easily change their flavor by using a different dried fruit in the recipe. Dates, figs, raisins, cranberries, apricots, dried papaya or pineapple chunks work really well (see substitutions at the bottom of the page). I personally prefer ‘berry flavors’, so I buy dried fruit bars and chop them up in small pieces with scissors. You’ve probably seen those bars in your local grocery store.
Basic Biscuit Recipe
|Ingredients:||whole-wheat flour||250 ml||(1 cup)|
|all-purpose flour||250 ml||(1 cup)|
|rolled oats||375 ml||(1 1/2 cup)|
|Splenda||60 ml||(1/4 cup)|
|baking powder||15 ml||(1 Tbsp)|
|fine orange peel||10 ml||(2 tsp)|
|baking soda||3 ml||(1/2 tsp)|
|salt||1 ml||(1/4 tsp)|
|90 ml||(6 Tbsp)|
|dried fruit leather||3|
|1% milk||310 ml||(1 1/4 cup)|
|vinegar||10 ml||(2 tsp)|
- In a small bowl, combine 250 ml of milk (leave 60 ml for later use) with the vinegar. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, oats and 50 ml of Splenda (leave 10 ml for later use). Add the baking powder, orange peel, baking soda and salt. Mix well.
- Using a fork, add the butter and mix for about 3 minutes. Add the chopped dried fruit bars.
- Add the milk and vinegar mix that you had set aside and mix.
- On a lightly floured surface, kneed the dough for a minute or so. Divide it into 12 equal balls. Place the balls of dough on the cooking sheet and flatten them with a fork.
- Use the milk that you had set aside to moisten the top of each biscuit and pour the remaining Splenda on top.
- Bake in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes. Wait 10 minutes prior to serving. Enjoy
Variations to Healthy Tea Biscuits
Follow the basic recipe with the following changes:
|3 Fruit leather bars||Substitute with 125 ml (1/2 cup) of dried fruit such as apricots, raisins or cranberries|
|Butter||Substitute half the butter for unsweetened apple sauce.|
I recommend you eat these tasty tea biscuits with a warm and healthy cup of tea.