Stress is everywhere, and everyone needs to include stress relief techniques in their daily routine.
Why is stress such an important component of our life when it didn’t seem to affect past generations as much?
Well, the speed at which technology advances is a lot faster than the pace at which human physiology and psychology evolves, which results in a new type of stress: Technology Related Stress.
The following stress relief techniques are aimed at reducing the types of stress that are related to the presence of technology in our life. Yes, technology is a great thing, but you shouldn’t let it add undue stress to your already stressful life.
Stress Relief Techniques for a Home Sweet Home
There used to be a time when people were able to return home after a long day of work, kick off their shoes and relax. What happened to those days? Well, technology happened. If you think about it, how many useful gadgets do you have lying around your house?
- Do you have a VCR or “Tivo” to record all the shows you miss while you’re out?
- Do you have an answer machine or voice mail to catch all the calls you miss while you’re out?
- Do you have Caller ID so you can figure out who called you?
- Do you have an Internet connection at home?
- Do you have a TV in your bedroom?
You get where I’m going, right? While these technological gadgets were meant to make our life easier, they sometimes do just the opposite. Luckily, you can implement some stress relief techniques to help you.
When Television Becomes a Source of Stress
These stress relief techniques will only work if you commit yourself to reducing the impact that technology is having on your lifestyle.
Try to think of all the television you watch.
Yes, include all the shows you record and all the shows you watch as they air.
Do you need to watch that many hours of TV every week?
Most people should be able to reduce their “entertainment” television to about 3 hours per week. Rate your shows in order of preference and stick to the top 1, 2 or 3 (depending on how often they air and how long they are).
Do you really need reality TV? What is happening to your “real life” as you watch your reality TV shows? Would anybody be entertained by watching your “real life”? It may be time to get out and do something with your life.
Do you need a television in your bedroom? Chances are that, if you have one, you stay up to watch the late night news just before going to sleep. News before bedtime is definitely not a good combination. It may cause insomnia problems.
Once you have followed some of these stress relief techniques and reduced your television time, you may like your extra spare time so much that getting rid of your cable subscription might even sound like a great idea.
Telephone, Good or Evil? – A Source of Stress?
Yes, the telephone is a great invention, but you do not need all the features that the phone companies are trying (so desperately) to sell you.
- Caller ID: Keep it unless you get home and try to track down every unknown number and then waste time trying to call them back. It may have been a wrong number, it may not, but if it had been important, they would have left a message.
- Answer Machine/Voice mail: Keep it unless you dread coming home to too many messages, which causes too much stress.
- Call Waiting: You don’t need it. It’s disrespectful for all and they probably can wait a few more minutes for you to be done your current conversation. If not, they can leave a message.
- Cellular Phone: You may or may not be able to change how you use your cell phone. Most importantly, you need to think about your personal safety and the safety of those around you when using your cell phone. Driving while talking on your cell phone can be a safety hazard and is even illegal is some parts of the world. Try to remember what you did before cellphones came about. Are there conversations you could postpone and have face-to-face instead?
- Direct Marketing Calls: We all get them, even if your number is unlisted. I personally don’t have time to deal with them. If you fall in the same category, don’t hesitate to say: “No, thank you.” If they insist and try to get a better time to reach you, you can repeat that you are not interested and you can even request that they take your number off their list.
A final note about telephones… We all need some alone time at some point or another. Don’t hesitate to unplug the phone or screen your calls. This is probably the simplest and easiest tip of all the stress relief techniques shown on this page!
Stress Relief Techniques for Written Technology
Technology has also had an impact on newspapers, magazines and direct marketing. Unless your work is closely related to being up-to-date with the latest news, you do not need to read the newspaper AND watch the news on television AND read the news on the Internet.
Pick your favorite way to catch up with the world and enjoy the extra free time you will have gained.
How many magazine subscriptions do you have? How many magazines do you buy from newsstands? Is the pile of magazines sitting at home causing undue stress because they keep reminding you that you have yet to read them? If this is the case, you could probably cancel a few subscriptions, or resist the temptation to buy them from newsstands. Then again, if these magazines make you relax and unwind, you should keep them but make sure you are honest with yourself about their true impact. Does the latest development between Brad and Angelina keep you up at night?
Junk Mail. Whether you want it or not, it does create stress. Having to go through an unnecessarily large amount of mail, or watching the mail pile grow on your kitchen counter can add stress to your life. One easy way to reduce the impact junk mail has on your life is to throw it out (or recycle it) as soon as you bring it into your home. Another great way to deal with junk mail is to get off the junk mail list. If you live in the United States, here is the company you need to contact:
The Bottom Line on Stress Relief Techniques
The bottom line about these stress relief techniques is that you and you alone decide how much technology-related stress you allow in your home. Another benefit to getting rid or reducing the impact these gadgets have on your life is that you will also save money (which can also reduce stress!).
Everyone leads a different lifestyle and these stress relief techniques may not be suitable for you, but if you seriously consider each gadget you have in your home, you should be able to get rid of some that are causing you more stress than comfort.
Using crystals is another way to lift the way you feel, and crystals are known to help to relieve anxiety that leads to stress. To read about specific stones that will aid you to improve how you feel read this page on how to relieve stress with crystals.
More Stress Relief Techniques
Learn more stress relief techniques here:
- Top Ten Causes of Stress
- Learn Tips to Manage Stress
- 10 Stress Management and Relaxation Tips
- Top Ten Tips for Relaxation
- 6 Ways to Stress Less
- 5 Ways to Relieve Stress
- Stress Relaxation Exercise
- Learn How to Relieve Stress
- Discover the Emotional and Physical Symptoms of Stress
- Manage Your Stress With Alternate Responses
- Stress Side Effects
- Reduce School-Related Stress
- Discover The Major Cause of Stress In Your Life