You can buy exfoliating products or make your own body scrub using one of these exfoliating recipes. Try them out for yourself!
You can also experiment and try some ingredients that are lying around your house. You should stick to organic food that you would eat. You can also add aromatherapy essential oils to get some added benefits.
Basic Body Scrub Recipe
To prepare this exfoliating recipe, you will need the following ingredients. Click on the ingredients to shop at Amazon.com:
- 250 ml Sea Salt (1 cup)
- 30 ml [easyazon_link identifier=”B01LK643T6″ locale=”US” tag=”relax-at-home-20″ cart=”n”]Almond Oil[/easyazon_link] (2 Tbsp)
- 15 ml Natural Spring Water (1 Tbsp)
Measure the ingredients and mix thoroughly. Do not prepare this preparation more than a day ahead of time. For a more pleasant scrub you can warm the mixture. One easy way to warm it is to place the mixture in a sealed plastic bag such as Ziploc or Glade bags and run warm water over the bag.
Alternatively, place the mixture in a small metal or glass bowl and let the bowl float in a sink filled with enough hot water.
Alternative Body and Hand Scrub Recipe
To prepare this exfoliating scrub, you will need the following ingredients. Click on the ingredients to shop at Amazon.com:
- 125 ml Sea Salt (1/2 cup)
- 125 ml cornmeal (1/2 cup) (organic cornmeal is best)
- 3 drops Lavender Essential Oil
- 3 drops Chamomile Essential Oil
- 3 drops Rosemary Essential Oil
- 30 ml Natural Spring Water (2 Tbsp)
Measure the ingredients and mix thoroughly. Do not prepare this preparation more than an hour ahead of time because the essential oils will evaporate. For a more pleasant scrub you can warm the mixture.
One easy way is to place the mixture in a sealed plastic bag such as Ziploc or Glade bags and run warm water over the bag. Alternatively, place the mixture in a small metal or glass bowl and let the bowl float in a sink filled with enough hot water.
Other Exfoliating Scrub Recipes
You can experiment with different essential oils but make sure to start with a very small quantity at first. Alternatively, you can also purchase some great exfoliating body scrubs from your local drugstore, department store or body and bath product stores.
An exfoliating scrub is a wonderful way to rid your body of all those dead cells and toxins that accumulate on your skin with time.
This type of home spa treatment promotes the release of accumulated toxins by improving blood circulation.
Because this type of treatment removes old cells from the superficial skin layer, it is important to limit the number of exfoliating treatments or scrubs to a maximum of one per week.
You still want to maintain your first layer of epidermis to protect you from the elements, don’t you?
What You Need for an Exfoliating Scrub
Make sure to have the following items before you get started. If you’re unfamiliar with some of these terms, you can learn more about spa equipment here.
If you need to purchase any of these items, click on the links to be taken to Amazon.com.
- 3 large bath towels
- 5 hand towels
- 1 face cloth
- 1 large bowl
- hot water (enough to fill the large bowl)
- 1 loofah sponge
- 125 ml of homemade exfoliant (1/2 cup)
- scented soap or bubble bath
- Spa Thermal Unit
- moisturizing lotion
Exfoliation Preparation Steps
Follow these easy steps to maximize the exfoliation effects.
- 1. Make sure that the room is at an adequate temperature. I recommend 25C (77F) but you can adjust the temperature depending on the climate you live in and your personal preference.
- 2. Lay one large bath towel on a flat surface. The towel should be large enough to fit under the person’s entire body. If not, use 2 towels. It is important to cover the surface well, especially if you are using a carpeted area. It will be a lot easier to clean up afterward!
- 3. Immerse the hand towels in very warm water. You can use rubber gloves if your hands are sensitive. Wring the towels and place them in the Spa Thermal Unit (or your cooler).
- 4. Fill the bowl with hot water and place it near your treatment area.
- 5. Invite the person who will be receiving the treatment to lay down on his/her front.
Exfoliating Scrub Treatment Steps
- 1. Warn the person that you will be beginning now. Dip your fingers in the bowl of water and moisten the skin on the back of your partner. Take approximately 15 ml (1 Tbsp) of exfoliating scrub product. Rub it between your hands so that the inside of your hands is covered and ready to cover the skin of your partner.
- 2. Using a circular stroke, scrub your partner’s back. Don’t be too gentle: your goal is to exfoliate the skin. Don’t be too hard either, you don’t want your partner to start bleeding! The skin is likely to redden a little, especially on people with fair skin, because of the increased blood flow close to the surface of the skin.
- 3. Don’t hesitate to use more of your exfoliating scrub mixture when your hands dry out. Once you are done with your partner’s back (which should take 3 to 5 minutes), move down to your partner’s legs. Spend another 3 to 5 minutes on the legs.
- 4. Take a hot towel and wipe off most of the exfoliating scrub off the skin. Don’t worry about removing every single bit, the next step will take care of that.
- 5. Use the loofah sponge and moisten it using the hot water in the bowl. Add a few drops of liquid soap or bubble bath. Repeat the circular motion with approximately the same pressure you used with the exfoliating scrub. Cover your partner’s back and legs.
- 6. Use a new hot towel from your Spa Thermal Unit and remove all the soap suds.
- 7. It’s now time for your partner to roll on his/her back. Repeat the same steps for the legs, abdomen and neck. If the person receiving the treatment is male, you can also exfoliate the chest. DO NOT exfoliate a woman’s chest as most exfoliants are too harsh for the delicate skin on a woman’s breast. Similarly, DO NOT exfoliate the face with a body exfoliating scrub product. The skin of your face is too sensitive. However, you can use an exfoliating cream that was designed for the face.
- 8. Once you have exfoliated, washed off, soaped and washed off those areas, use another towel to pat dry your partner’s skin. It’s now time to moisturize! Spend 2 to 3 minutes on the front of their body, working the moisturizing lotion into the skin. The skin should readily absorb the lotion at this point.IMPORTANT: It’s now time for your partner to turn around, but you will change the towel under him/her as they turn around. You don’t want them to cover their newly cleansed and moisturized skin with exfoliating cream from the towel!
- 9. Moisturize the back and legs for another 2 to 3 minutes.
More Information on Exfoliating Treatments
You’re done! You can make your own body scrub mixture to personalize your exfoliating scrub treatment.