Many people have trouble with sleep and are looking for some sort of insomnia relief.
If you’re one of the few people who can enjoy great nights of sleep, congratulations! If you’re not so lucky, keep reading. I’ll discuss a few common sleeping disorders, including sleep apnea, which can affect people of all ages.
Depending on your symptoms and the extent of your sleep problems, there might be something you can do in the comfort of your home to finally get the sleep you deserve.
Sleep and Insomnia Relief: Some Definitions
Before you can solve your sleep problems, it would be helpful to define a few things.
- Sleep. Sleep is a complex physiological and psychological process that is meant to leave you feeling restored, both mentally and physically.
- Insomnia. Insomnia is a disruption of your sleep pattern. For some people, insomnia manifests itself as having difficulty falling asleep, for others, insomnia may be more about having difficulty staying asleep. For some other even unluckier people, it’s both.
- Circadian Rhythm. Your circadian rhythm is like your biological clock that is set by daylight. Learn more about your sleep wake cycle here.
What are the Four Stages of Sleep?
There are four major sleep stages:
- 1. Hypnogogic State. This stage happens during a transition from the time you’re awake to the time you’re asleep. Your mind and emotions slow down as your body gets ready for sleep. At the end of this stage, you may experience some leg jerking, which is totally normal.
- 2. Light Sleep. This stage prepares your body to enter deep sleep. Your muscles relax and your body temperature drops slightly.
- 3. & 4. Deep Sleep. These deep sleep stages are composed of alternating Delta State and Rapid Eye Movement (REM) States. REM occurs every 90 minutes or so and each REM period increases in length from the first REM lasting about 5 minutes to the last one of the night lasting from 30 to 60 minutes. REM is when dreams occur.
What Are the Causes of Insomnia?
- Sleep Hygiene
- Lifestyle Choices
- Psychological Stress
- Medical Illnesses
Fortunately, some of these causes are under your control. Learn more about various causes of insomnia and how you can improve your sleep and insomnia relief.
Other Resources about Sleep and Insomnia Relief
Learn more about sleep and insomnia on the pages listed in the sidebar, which includes more information on sleep disorders and lots of tips on how to improve the quality of your sleep.
If you are having trouble getting to sleep or are suffering from a sleep disorder, Sleep Aid Guide is here to help you find the right sleep aids and to help you get the rest you need.
If you are interested in buying hypnotherapy CDs, scripts and ebooks that can help you improve your sleep and find out more about brainwave & sleep research and other areas of health and hypnosis, visit this Hypnosis and Health site.