Learning how to choose a mattress is a very important step toward achieving a peaceful night’s sleep.
Unfortunately, the best mattress for you may not be the best mattress for your neighbor.
That being said, the information contained here should help you make an informed decision on how to buy a mattress.
After all, sleep and insomnia don’t have to be on your "worries" list!
Yes, it’s time to relax at home on a comfortable mattress.
Choosing the Best Mattress for You
You spend close to a third of your life on a mattress, so it’s important to choose it carefully. By having the best mattress you can afford, you can improve your productivity and your happiness. Yes, a good night’s sleep will do wonders for you and those around you.
Here are a few tips to help you choose a mattress:
- If your mattress is older than 10 years old, you must get a new one.
- Don’t choose a mattress that is TOO firm. Your spine must be able to preserve its alignment when you sleep. If the mattress is too hard, then it won’t be able to cup your body around your neck and your lower back.
- Don’t pick a mattress that is TOO soft either as it will let your spine sag and you will get up with a backache.
- Make the "palm test" an important part of how to choose a mattress. To perform this test, lie on your back and try to place your palm (face down) behind the small of your back. If it’s really easy and there’s even a gap, then the mattress is too hard for you.
- If the bottom of your spine is lower than your heels when you recline, then the mattress is too soft for you.
- Try many mattresses before choosing the perfect one for you.
Other Tips on How to Choose a Mattress
If at all possible, get a "trial period" at home where you can sleep on it for a few nights and return the mattress if you’re not satisfied.
Don’t forget to get new pillows to ensure that your neck and head are properly supported when you sleep. The best pillow for you is based on personal preferences, but you should try to find one that offers enough support for your head and neck without forcing them upward or downward.
For more information on how to beat insomnia and improve your sleep, visit these pages:
- Can’t Sleep? Discover some tips that can help you sleep better tonight.
- Effective herbal insomnia remedy
- Other natural cures for insomnia
Not ready to learn how to choose a mattress yet? Discover more sleep remedies here.